Natural Relief for Bug Bites and Poison Ivy
All summer long, when the bee stings, the mosquito bites or the poison ivy comes creeping, try these natural remedies for a quick relief.
Relief from Poison Ivy
Poisons oak, ivy and sumac all contain an oily chemical urushiol, which irritates your skin and can produce a severe allergic reaction.
A man on a hike blew his nose into a leaf: a poison ivy leaf.
Here are more natural ways to soothe poison ivy:
1. Wash the contact area thoroughly. Because urushiol is an oily substance, water alone will not remove it; scrub with soap and water.
2. Crush dandelion greens. Apply to the area as poultice, changing every hour. You can also put these into a blender with aloe gel and honey to make a smoother poultice.
3. Scrape aloe gel directly from the plant and apply generously to the affected area. This can lessen the symptoms of burning, itching and pain.
4. Mash plantain leaves and apply as poultice, changing every hour to relieve itching.
5. Chickweed root, magnolia flower, chrysanthemum flower and kudzu root are part of a traditional Chinese formula, which is used to reduce the allergic and inflammatory responses.
Take the Itch Out of Insect Bites
A bug bite is rarely painful, but the body’s reaction can cause pain, itching, redness and swelling.
Natural ways to soothe itchy bites:
1. Prevention is the way to avoid dealing with insect bites.
2. Once bitten, remove the stinger, if there is one, and clean area with water.
3. Place cucumber skins on top of the bites to sooth the itching and irritation. You can also cut 2-inch round slices from a fresh eggplant and place on top of bite to draw out toxins and sooth the irritation.
4. Apply honey to a bug bite to sooth the skin. Because honey is a natural antibiotic, it can also help prevent infections.
5. Apply a blend of essential oils of eucalyptus, winter green and peppermint or tea tree oil to bites every 2 to 3 hours to relieve itching and aid healing.
Click on Image for ADVANCED DNA COURSE
Beth Coleman,N.D., Medical Intuitive, Empath and Instructor makes no claims, promises or guarantees and is neither diagnosing nor treating specific health challenges. Participants are solely responsible for managing and continuing their own medical treatment and care.